Location-based theatre turns locals into tourists!
The theatre is an escape from reality and location-based theatre takes that a step further. I know when my casts and creatives arrive at a location there is just a weight lifted off our shoulders. Come along and escape for a day!
I am often asked if I will run repeat seasons of shows in the city centre. Many things spring to my mind about city productions (and don’t get me wrong I do love our Adelaide city!)
- Parking is difficult, not only for patrons but for people involved in the production
- It is a concrete jungle. Whilst there are some beautiful places within our city you do not get the escape feeling you get from working further out
- Unique venues are getting harder to find with the constant knocking down of beautiful buildings to be replaced with not-as-pretty apartment buildings
- There is a lot more competition with things to do in the CBD
- There are more restrictions, regulations and expenses in the city
Whilst I do some productions in the Adelaide CBD, there is something special about finding the perfect location somewhere different. Yes, it may mean travelling a little further but I assure you it is worth it. Creating productions on sites makes you more involved with the story – you become part of it. I encourage you to come along and see what I mean. Find some friends or family and fill a car and come on a drive, or jump on a bus! Just the experience of getting there can be great fun! The locations I chose have so much to see and do around them and my show times allow you to do something before or after the show. Come and visit a place you have never been (or come again and see it in a new way), hear the stories, see the surroundings. Location-based theatre is a whole new experience.